Thursday, August 4, 2011

Summer heat and drought

Everyone is talking about it - the weather!!! It has been too hot to be outside and take pictures and I have been in a summer dormancy so I just wanted to share my thoughts on the extreme weather.

The weather is extremely hot and dry this year. I have wrote about it in many of my blog post lately due to the affects on my garden and the natural landscape. It is a record holding year with record high heat and record low rainfall. Wildlife is suffering, crops are drying up, abundance of wildfires, heat advisories everyday, parts of space shuttles have been found in lakes that are drying up, and even a grave yard was exposed. People around Houston, TX are changing there schedules to avoid the heat by doing things early in the morning or later in the evening.

I myself, who is not a morning person, has had to get up early to water my plants and do any gardening before the sun starts to scorch. My friends and I have not done any outdoor hikes lately nor gone to the beach and we always have water or an iced coffee in hand. Its been a good time to focus on indoor house maintenance, cleaning, and planning the garden for fall plantings. (I just ordered some summer dormant Delphinium plants, Camassia bulbs, and more seeds from Prairie Moon Nursery last night).

Here is a screenshot of my weather bug widget at 8:10pm tonight. It is still hot, although it was reading 106*F earlier.

The heat really makes me ready for fall and the cooler weather. Tink and I can resume our weekly hikes and also look forward to the Holidays!! I've already gotten a catalog in the mail for Halloween decorations, which at first I thought was crazy, but then I saw some must have Halloween items (like this set of Chemistry Drinkware by Martha Stewart <3).

Anyway, I hope that all of you are having a safe, happy, and cool summer and wherever you live is having normal weather conditions! Check back soon because I have a lot of gardening post coming up such as: new seedlings I've planted, newly acquired native wildflowers, and my collection of faux bois pottery. Thanks for reading! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment