Friday, August 12, 2011

Moss Acres Terrarium Kit

I have been collecting Faux Bois pottery for almost 3 years now and have a pretty good collection so far. Right now I have native shade plants of Texas growing in a few of them (hopefully all soon) and I wanted to complete the look and make them look more aged and natural by having moss grow in the pots as well. It is not very easy to find moss around Houston and I did not want to remove any of the little moss I could find from natural areas. After watching Martha and seeing the people from Moss Acres talk about moss I was very interesting in having my own.

Moss Acres sells different varieties and quantities of moss for various projects such as something small like a terrarium setup to an entire moss garden. They also sell a product called Moss Milkshake which comes in a milk jug and is used to grow new moss from the contents inside.

I decided to order the Terrarium kit which comes with three types of moss that are already alive and healthy.

Here is what I got in my package for the Terrarium Kit: 3 types of moss (Rock Cap, Sheet, and Cushion Moss), a brochure with lots of information about Moss Acres and moss, and then my invoice and more information on how to care for the moss.

After unpacking the moss I placed the dry moss in a galvanized tray with about a half inch of water so the moss could rehydrate. This is the picture of the moss right when i placed it in the tray with water.

And after about a half hour. The moss has absorbed the water and becomes much more green and lush.

Here is the Rock Cap moss - Dicranum, planted with my Southern Wood Fern - Dryopteris ludoviciana.

This is the Cushion Moss - Leucobryum, planted with a rhizome of a Sensitive Fern - Onoclea sensiblis.

And last but not least is the Sheet Moss - Hypnum. I have not planted this with anything yet but will definitely do so soon. It looks like a bunch of tiny ferns. I remember this moss from living in Virginia and it growing in many shady spots in the woods and gardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment