Friday, August 12, 2011

Prairie Blazingstar

The first wildflower that I received after moving to Houston, TX was my Prairie Blazingstar - Liatris pycnostachya. I have had this plant since 2007 and even though I have dug it up every time I've moved and divide it at least every year it has grown very well. I originally just had one bulb but at the end of every year I can divide it into 3 plants. I have seen this wildflower growing in wet conditions in the wild but it is very drought tolerant and does very well in average garden conditions. If you live in its native range (central U.S. between the Rocky Mts and Appalachian Mts.) you should definitely have this wildflower in your garden.

The blooms of all Liatris species start opening at the top of the plant and move toward the bottom as it matures. Prairie Blazingstar blooms in late summer to fall and provides many insects nectar during this time including migrating Monarch Butterflies.

Prairie Blazingstar can reach up to 5 ft tall but mine usually get around 3 1/2 ft tall.

The Prairie Blazingstar has become one of my favorite wildflowers. Other Liatris species that can be found in Houston and the surrounding area are: L. elegans, L. bracteata, L. acidota, L.squarrosa, and L. aspera.

No comments:

Post a Comment