Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Gulf Fritillary Butterfly

In my backyard I have a single pot of Purple Passionflower - Passiflora incarnata, and every year it host the caterpillars of many Gulf Fritillary Butterflies.  I constantly see the butterflies around my garden throughout the warm months and often times they lay so many eggs on my passionflower that it becomes defoliated. 

Gulf Fritillary egg on the dried tendril of the Passionflower.

Gulf Fritillary caterpillar in search of more food.

This one has munched away all these leaves...

My Passionflower - Passiflora incarnata, it has a few leaves left. 

Gulf Fritillary empty chrysalis with an egg on it. (3 eggs in the pic total)

Another chrysalis about 20 feet away from the Passionflower.

Here is the mother Gulf Fritillary laying more eggs.
I love the silver on the bottom of the wings!

No comments:

Post a Comment