Sunday, July 17, 2011

Western Ribbon Snake

Yesterday night I went to water my tropical carnivorous plants that are growing on a garden shelf in my backyard. On the second shelf I found a Western Ribbon Snake. It must have climbed up looking for the Rio Grande Chirping Frogs (see previous post). The frogs chirp constantly and the snake was right next to a pot that had a Chirping Frog in it.

Here is the Western Ribbon Snake - Thamnophis sauritus nitae. A very appropriate name for this snake. The Ribbon Snake is non-venomous and eats insects, slugs, frogs, and small fish.

It was very docile and never tried to bite even when I touched it. It is surprisingly fast at slithering away too.

This was actually the third one I've seen in my yard this year. The last time I saw one it was by my front yard street light being eaten by a Yellow-crowned Night Heron, which swallowed it whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment