Thursday, June 23, 2011

My New Bromeliads

Wanting to make the backyard look tropical and needing to fill two clay urns I decided to look for some new Bromeliads. I actually don't have any Bromeliads in my large collection of plants but have always found them to be very pretty and I really like the way many species live on trees in the wild. I drove to Another Place in Time Nursery in the Heights area of Houston. This was my first time visiting this nursery and I really liked it. They have a nice assortment of plants that will thrive in the Houston weather which include lots of Bromeliads, Ferns, Orchids, Tillandsia, and many other tropicals and garden plants. It was really hard to decide on which Bromeliad to pick as there were so many different types to choose from. I picked out 3 Neoreglia 'Super Fireball' and Tink picked out another Neoreglia that was varigated. Here they are planted in the urns:

Neoreglia 'Super Fireball' , three of them in this clay urn I got from the Viet Hoa grocery store floral department in the SW Houston Chinatown. It was surprised to find a clay urn as most of them are made of resin these days...

They are situated on my backyard deck in the shade of a Crepe Myrtle tree.

The second Bromeliad. Im not sure what specie or cultivar it is... If you know please tell me! :)


I think the Bromeliads have become oasis to the tree frogs during the drought.

No comments:

Post a Comment