Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Harrisella porrecta - Threadroot Orchid

Hello!  I just got back from my week long trip to South Florida.  It was a very  nice trip like always and I cant wait to go back!

During my trip to FL I visited my parents house in Bradenton, FL.  Usually during my visit I explore the woods in their backyard and around the neighborhood.  Every time I find some interesting plant or animal.  This particular time I went in search of Tillandsia species; specifically Tillandsia utriculata.  I had seen the adult plants in the area before but failed to find any this time.  I did find 3 small plants on a Viburnum in a shady wetland area and while examining them I found an unusual orchid.  

Harrisella porrecta - I first noticed the seed pods and then the roots. 
That's when I knew it was an orchid.

I found around 30 orchids with seed pots on this dead portion of a Viburnum obovatum.
I could not see any plants anywhere else other than this particular tree.

Some more Harrisella porrecta with lots of seed pots.

Another Harrisella porrecta.  This tree also had Tillandsia utriculata, T. balbsiana, T. recurvata, T.useneoides, and T. setacea growing on it.

Harrisella porrecta common names are the Threadroot Orchid and Needleroot Airplant Orchid.  
Sometimes it is placed in the genus Dendrophylax along with Ghost Orchid. 
It is a theatened species in Florida and should not be removed from the wild.  

There are many other orchids around these woods which are primarily Slash Pine (Pinus elliottii) and Scrub Palmetto (Sabal etonia).  These other orchids are all terrestrial. 

No comments:

Post a Comment